Obituaries » Andrew "Andy" L. Robinson, Jr.
Andrew (Andy) L. Robinson Jr., of Lynchburg Va., Pinehurst N.C., and Morristown N.J. died peacefully on January 20, 2023. He was born on December 30, 1928, in Abingdon, Pennsylvania.
Andy was Preceded in death by his wife, Joanne C. Trotter and first wife Helen S. Scott. He was the loving father of Andrew (Drew) L. Robinson III (Martha), Helen (Robin )S. Cleaves (Al) Craig Matheson (Ann-Marie ) Scott Matheson(Diane).He was the Proud grandfather of Clair Schenkel Hanson(Kyle),Tice Schenkel, Colin Matheson, Cam Matheson and Shea Matheson, Roger Cleaves (wife Brittany) ,Stuart Cleaves, Stephanie Rey(Danny) ,Garret and Alanna Cleaves .Great grandfather of Ryan Cleaves and Hardin Hanson. Further survived by nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends.
Andy graduated from the Peddie School in 1947, the University of Virginia in 1951 and the Wharton School of Business (Univ. of Penn) in 1954. He served for the US Army in the Korean War and followed with a long career in banking. His banking career started in 1956 with Morgan Guaranty Trust in New York, N.Y to bank president at The First Iron Bank in Morristown N.J. and Sovran Bank North in Bethesda Maryland ending in 1994.
Andy served on many boards including United Way, Habitat for Humanity and Boys and Girls Club. He was an avid tennis and platform tennis player(paddle), playing tennis for the University of Virginia 1947-51, and competed with success in state, sectional and national events.
He will be missed by family, friends, and colleagues.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Lynchburg, is assisting the family. To send condolences, please visit tharpfuneralhome.com.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Andrew \"Andy\" 's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021