Obituaries » Claude Wilson Mitchell
Claude Wilson Mitchell, 74, passed away on Thursday, August 11, 2022, due to complication from surgery.
He was born in Bedford County, Virginia. The son of the late Leonard and Bonnie Mae Martin Mitchell. He was preceded in death by his stepmother, Geraldine “Gerry” Mitchell Cassidy, and a half sister Edith Pagans Woznick.
Claude was a U.S. Army Veteran and retired from the Virginia Department of Corrections with over 40+ years of service having worked in Rustburg, Fluvanna, and Haynesville. He is survived by his son, Andrew Mitchell; sisters, Dorothy “Dottie” Johnson, and Lynda Childress; half-sister, Shirley Camden; step-father, Charles Cassidy and many nieces, nephews, and friends.
In lieu of flowers please consider memorial contributions in Claude’s memory to RAINN or The Wounded Warrior Project or charity of choice.
A graveside service and celebration of Claude’s life will be conducted at 2:00pm on Monday, August 22, 2022, in the Byrd Cemetery at Radford Baptist Church in Moneta, VA. The family will receive friends one hour prior to the service also at the cemetery. To send condolences online please visit tharpfuneralhome.com. Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Bedford is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Claude's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021