Obituaries » David Thomas Ragland
David Thomas Ragland
David Thomas Ragland of Big Island, VA passed away on March 1, 2023, at the of 90.
David was born on February 15, 1933, in Big Island, VA to the late George W. Ragland and Rena Putt. He enlisted in the Marine Corps during the Korean War and shortly after he returned home, he married Nancy Manley Ragland his surviving wife of 69 years.
David was a member of Hunting Creek Baptist Church and worked at the Big Island Paper Mill until he retired after 41 years. He loved to fish especially for flounder and cobia at the coast. David also enjoyed hunting, gardening, and bowling.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by his daughter, Carolyn R. Morehead, his grandson, Jody S. Morehead and wife, Heather and his grandchildren, Tucker, Justin, and Abigail Morehead. David is predeceased by his fishing buddy and son-in-law, Charles V. Morehead.
A graveside service will be conducted at 1:00 pm on Friday, March 3, 2023, at Hunting Creek Baptist Church Cemetery with the Rev. Ken Bledsoe officiating. Family and friends are welcome to visit at Carolyn’s house anytime before 7:30 p.m. out of respect for her mom.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Bedford, is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate David's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021
Click here to access Obituary Archives from 2014 and earlier.