Obituaries » Erna Gezina Wals Hegner
Erna Gezina Wals Hegner
Erna Gezina Hegner, 82 of Moneta passed away on Sunday, February 27, 2022 at home with her beloved dog Cocoa at her side. Erna was born in Holland and immigrated to America before the age of 8 with her family after WWII. She grew up in a suburb outside Chicago, Illinois. In high school, she met her beloved future husband Hank and formed a bond that lasted a lifetime. Erna devoted her life to loving and supporting her husband and raising their 5 children. Erna had so many talents. She created beautiful art through her sewing, nurtured her house plants, and made the world a little more beautiful through all the flowers, plants, and trees she planted over the years. Erna was not afraid to get her hands dirty, not only by planting but also fixing anything and everything as required to save time and money. She loved collecting and refurbishing antique furniture and was a vivacious bargainer who could talk a price down better than anyone. Erna was also a great cook and worked hard to make holidays extra special for everyone. Erna was a strong, independent, loving wife, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother that could make everyone laugh and feel welcome. Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Smith Mountain Lake is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Erna's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021
Click here to access Obituary Archives from 2014 and earlier.