Obituaries » James M Skinner
James M Skinner
James Milton Skinner, 93, of Lynchburg, Virginia passed away on January 5, 2023. He was the son of the late John Ludwell Skinner and Pamelia Ish Skinner.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 61 years, Wilma Belyea Skinner and his sister, Ann Skinner Malone.
James was born on July 30, 1929, in Aldie, Virginia. He graduated from Aldie High School in 1947.
He served in the U.S. Army from 1953 – 1954, completing his basic training at Fort Knox, and was stationed in Panama.
He received his Master’s in Accounting from Stayer School of Finance and worked as an auditor for the District of Columbia. He relocated to Lynchburg, Virginia after he retired in the early 1990’s.
James was a member of Heritage Baptist Church, Lynchburg, Virginia, where he regularly attended and served. He was passionate about personal evangelism, and regularly would ask people that he met if they knew where they would spend eternity when they died. For him, eternity in heaven was the greatest reward and he wanted everyone to have that same assurance.
James is survived by his children, Joan (Bill) Will and David (Sandy Grivet) Skinner, his grandchildren, Emily Will, Matthew Will, Daniel Skinner, and Abigail Skinner, and niece Eileen Gunther, nephews George Malone, Bill Malone, and Tom Malone.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Heritage Baptist Church, 219 Breezewood Drive, Lynchburg, VA, 24502.
Tharp Funeral Home, Lynchburg is assisting the family. To send condolences, please visit www.tharpfuneralhome.com
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate James's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021
Click here to access Obituary Archives from 2014 and earlier.