Obituaries » Jay Lewis Barnhart
Jay Lewis Barnhart, 67 of Amherst, Virginia went to be with the Lord on Friday, September 9, 2022. He was the loving husband of Katherine A. Barnhart for 28 years.
Jay was born January 23, 1955, in Dover, PA, he was the son of Doris Hottinger Barnhart of Chambersburg, PA and the late Eugene Barnhart. He was a basketball coach, who dedicated his life to working with Camps for Christ, which he founded in 1972. Camps for Christ is an organization that teaches children how to play basketball, other sports, and most importantly the Word of God.
In addition to his wife and mother, Jay is survived by children, Jayson Barnhart and his wife, Gabriella of Greenville, SC, Noah Barnhart and his significant other, Anna Williamson of Roanoke, and Sarah Barnhart of Amherst; his sister, Marla Hart of Chambersburg, PA; his niece, Amy Anthony of Cassville, PA; and his future granddaughter, Jaelynn Barnhart.
A celebration of Jay’s life will be at 2:00 PM on Saturday, September 17, 2022, in the chapel of Tharp Funeral Home Chapel, Madison Heights located at 118 Commonwealth Drive. Interment will follow in Camps for Christ Cemetery, Amherst, VA. The family will receive friends prior to the service from 12:30-2:00 p.m. at the funeral home.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Madison Heights, is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Jay's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021