Obituaries » Jerry Andrew Smith
Jerry was born in Richlands, Virginia on June 9, 1956, to Hassel Smith and Betty Jane Lester.
Jerry was a tractor trailer driver for UPS until he retired after 32 years. He was a jack of all trades, never knew a stranger, and was always willing to lend a helping hand to anyone in need.
He was a loving husband, father, and grandfather. He was a devout Christian and a member of the Lighthouse Full Gospel Church. His love and devotion to God and family were his life and an inspiration to all who knew him.
He was preceded in death by his father, Hassel Smith, and one brother, Dennis Calvin Smith.
Jerry is survived by his wife of 42 years, Mary Ann Sanders Smith; two sons, Shawn Avery Smith and Derek Andrew Smith, wife Kira Elise; his mother, Betty Jane Lester Smith; two brothers, Stuard McKinnley Smith, wife Wendy and Dean Preston Smith; one sister, Lisa Powers, husband James; sister-in-law, Debbie Smith; sister-in-law, Debbie Sanders Schultz, husband Eric; brother-in-law, Bobby Brean Sanders, Jr.; four grandchildren, Mitchell Adams, Raevin Adams, Kara Smith, and Braylin Smith; one great grandchild, Scarlett Adams; daughters of the heart, Michelle Vance, Linda Smith, Casey Kelly; numerous nieces, nephews, cousins, and many close friends.
A celebration of life service will be held Saturday, September 18, 2021, at 2:00 pm at Reynolds Ridge Community Church, 1392 Reynolds Ridge Rd. Bandy, VA 24602, with Pastor Michael Schaffer and Pastor Lonnie Perkins officiating.
To send condolences online please visit tharpufuneralhome.com. Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Roanoke, VA is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Jerry 's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021