Obituaries » Jerry Lee Downey
Jerry Lee Downey, 83, of Bedford, Virginia passed away on Tuesday, April 12, 2022. He was the son of the late Jay and Madge Scruggs Downey.
Jerry was born on September 30, 1938, in Forest City, NC. He enjoyed hunting, fishing, golfing, and music.
Jerry is survived by his wife, Carol Downey and children, Lorna Poole (Michael) and Darrin Downey (Jessica); his grandchildren, Sara Tooley (Sam), Evan Poole (Taylor), Lauren Dixon (Kassey), Erin Stargel (Michael), Marsha Glorioso (Zack), Michelle Hutchison (Steven); great-grandchildren, Lillian Tooley, Liam Tooley, Riley Poole, Trent Dixon, Paige Dixon, Hayleigh Stargel, Logan Stargel, Harper Stargel, Zander Glorioso and Asher Glorioso, and many loving nieces, nephews, cousins, and friends.
In addition to his parents, Jerry is predeceased by his son, Michael Downey; brothers, Nelson Downey, and Hugh Penson; and a brother-in-law, Gene Koepke and wife Delores.
A memorial service will be held on Tuesday, April 19, 2022, at 2 pm at Tharp Funeral Home, Bedford. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Bedford Ride – Central Virginia Alliance for Community Living, 1710 Whitfield Dr, Bedford, VA 24523
Tharp Funeral Home, Bedford is assisting the family. To send condolences, please visit www.obituaries.tharpfuneralhome.com
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Jerry's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021