Obituaries » John Albert Luhrs
John Albert Luhrs
John Albert Luhrs, 85, of Bedford, passed away on March 15, 2023, at Lynchburg General Hospital. He was born on November 30, 1937 in New York to the late Arnold Luhrs and Katherine Zoller Luhrs. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his sister, Carol Ryan and brother, Peter Luhrs.
John was a man of many talents, enjoying old cars, especially Mopar, traveling, camping, and lending a helping hand whenever he could. He had a special love for animals, raising pigeons and even racing them. In his later years, he volunteered with the Bedford Police Department. John was known for his sense of humor and pranks. He will be missed by all who knew him.
He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Beverly Brooks Luhrs; children, Cynthia Peters, John A. Luhrs, Jr. and Susan Loscalzo and husband, Nicholas; grandchildren, Amanda, Stephen, Christopher, John, Dakota, and Nicholas, Jr.; brother, Richard Luhrs and wife, Carolyn and sister, Kathy Remielus and husband, John.
A celebration of John’ life will be conducted at 11:00 am on Saturday, April 1, 2023, at Tharp Funeral Chapel, Bedford. The family will receive friends one hour prior to the service.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Bedford, is assisting the family. To send online condolences please visit tharpfuneralhome.com.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate John's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021
Click here to access Obituary Archives from 2014 and earlier.