Obituaries » John Wesley Pryor, Jr.
John Wesley Pryor, Jr.
John Wesley Pryor, Jr., transitioned on Monday, November 21, 2022 at his residence with his family by his side. He was born on October 29, 1935, in Albemarle County, Virginia to the late John Wesley Pryor Sr., and Mary Powell Pryor. In addition to his parents, he was also preceded in death by his brother, Willie Jackson Pryor, and sister, Dorothy Ann Pryor.
John is survived by his loving wife of 30 years, Mrs. Carolyn Johnson Pryor, children, Frederick M. Pryor (Mary), Roanoke, Va; John W. Pryor, IV, Lynchburg, Va.; and Jerome D. Pryor (Leah), Junction City, Kansas; step-children, Charles T. Hogue, Jr, and Michael L. Hogue, Evington, Va.; and Rodney L. Hogue (Dr. LaTanya) Charlotte, NC, Brother-in-Law, Melvin L. Johnson (Veronica). He is also survived by 10 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and other relatives and friends.
Raised in Lynchburg, he was a graduate of Dunbar High School class of 1956. John was a faithful member of Diamond Hill Baptist Church. He served on the Senior Choir, Trustee Board, Men’s Chorus, Usher Ministry and a member of The Men’s Fellowship. He was employed at GE/Ericsson for over 30 years. John enjoyed music, traveling and working in his yard.
A celebration of life will be held at 1:00 pm, Saturday December 3, 2022 at Diamond Hill Baptist Church. A visitation will be held one hour prior to the service. Interment will follow the service at the Forest Hill Burial Park.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate John Wesley's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021
Click here to access Obituary Archives from 2014 and earlier.