Obituaries » Leigh Phillip Balkam
Leigh Phillip Balkam, age 75, of Amherst, Virginia, passed away on Sunday, December 11, 2022. He was the son of the late Luke and Sylvia Balkam, and the husband of the late Sarah Frances Balkam for 49 years.
Leigh was born on January 28, 1947, in Inglewood, California. He joined the Navy after high school and served on the USS Oriskany during the Vietnam War. After 4 years as a sailor, he worked for Best Foods for 20 years. He retired in 1994.
Leigh, together with Sarah, enjoyed breeding and showing Whippets. He also loved eating and watching television.
Leigh is survived by his children and their spouses: Christy and Tony Rodriguez, Allana and Barry Bryant, and Audrey and Andy Cover; his grandchildren: Tommy, Brittany, Brad, Brett, Bethaney, Alex, and Mason; his great-grandchildren: Riley, Madison, Lauren, Marin, and Remi; and his sister, Debra.
In addition to his parents, Leigh will be reunited with his beloved wife, Sarah, his son, Matthew, and his favorite dog, Marble. Leigh is predeceased by his brother, Jeff.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to your local animal shelter.
Tharp Funeral Home, Madison Heights is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Leigh's life with a short message, photo or video!
Leigh does not have any posts. Be the first to add one
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021