Obituaries » Mattie Funk Peele
Mattie Funk Peele, 93, of Monroe, Virginia was welcomed into Heaven after a peaceful passing at home surrounded by family.
Mattie Funk Peele was born on September 2, 1928 in Rockfish, Virginia. She lived in Monroe, Virginia with her parents Angus and Lizzie Funk.
After Mattie and Marvin retired from working in Maryland, they settled in Monroe. Mattie enjoyed her family and friends and loved her church where she worked in the kitchen for many years. We will miss her beautiful smile and laughter.
Mattie is survived by her daughters, Pamela Peele and Diana Burgess (David); daughters-in-law, Mimie Peele and Nannette Lewis; four grandchildren, Laura Burgess (Eric), Colton Peele (Amy), Rebecca Peele and Rachel Peele; and four great-grandchildren, Kerstin, Kaleb, Trenton and Genevieve.
Mattie is preceded in death by her husband Marvin; her two sons, Louis Peele and Leland Peele; also her sister, Marjorie Booth and brother, George Smith.
We would like to thank her caregivers Rillie Bryant and Linda Rodgers. We would also like to thank the Centra Hospice staff.
A Celebration of Mattie’s Life will be held 1 pm, Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at The First Baptist Church of Monroe. The family will receive friends at the church one hour prior. Interment will follow at Fort Hill Memorial Park.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests a contribution to the First Baptist Church of Monroe, Kitchen Fund, P.O. Box 247, Monroe, VA 24574.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Madison Heights, is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Mattie's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021