Obituaries » Robert Horace Garbee
Robert Horace Garbee
Robert Horace Garbee died, Thursday, March 9, 2023. He was born on October 24,1930 in Lynchburg, Va. He was the son of William Cabell Garbee and Elva Holmes Organ Garbee. He is survived by his wife Mary Owen “Polly” Barksdale Garbee.
Bob received a degree from the University of Virginia School of Architecture and studied in Paris, France at the École des Beaux-Arts as the holder of a Fulbright Scholarship.
After military-service in the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers he practiced architecture in Lynchburg. He retired in 1986 as president of Fauber Garbee, Inc. Architects.
He was the father of three sons, the first born of whom died a crib death.
In addition to his wife, Mary, he is survived by Alfred Dickinson Barksdale Garbee, II (Karen) of Black Forest, CO. and by William Cabell Garbee, II of Raleigh, N.C. Barksdale is the father of his two grandchildren Dr. Elizabeth Winfree Garbee of Hyattsville, MD and Robert Dickinson Garbee of Berkley, MI.
A memorial service will be held at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 8, 2023, at St. John’s Episcopal Church, Lynchburg with The Rev. Chris Roussell officiating. Inurnment to follow in the church Columbarium.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Lynchburg, is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Robert Horace's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021
Click here to access Obituary Archives from 2014 and earlier.