Obituaries » Shelton Wells Viar
Shelton Well Viar, “Sonny,” left his earthly home for his heavenly home on Thursday, April 14, 2022.
Born in Hampton, Va. February 4, 1936, he was the son of the late Curtis Roger Viar and Martha Elizabeth Duck Viar. He was a member of Fairview United Methodist Church.
He was preceded in death by his loving wife of 60 years, Phyllis Bell Viar; and his two sisters, Mary Louise Viar Farrar and Ruth Carol Viar Hackworth. He is survived by his four children: Kathy Lynn Viar Camire (Andy), Mark Shelton Viar (Tracie), Jeffery Wells Viar (Ellen), and Donna Kay Viar; seven grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; his beloved cat, “Little Bit”; and a host of cousins, nieces, nephews, and friends.
Shelton was employed with Crutchfields Cleaning Service and Service Masters after which he was self-employed until he retired.
Shelton loved his family and friends. He never met a stranger and was always willig to help others. He had a big heart and wasn’t afraid to show it. Shelton loved everything about history and can tell you anything about the Civil War you’d want to know. He loved the outdoors, collecting antiques, and nature. He will be greatly missed by all.
A celebration of Shelton’s life will be held at Tharp Funeral Home, Lynchburg on Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 5 p.m. with Pastor Sam Stump officiating. The family will receive friends for one hour prior to the service.
The family would like to give a special thanks to Greg and Marie for everything they have done for the family.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Lynchburg, is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Shelton's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021