Obituaries » Shirley A. Holbrook
Shirley Anderson Holbrook, 85, of Bedford passed away on Monday, February 14, 2022. She was preceded in death by her husbands, William Glenn Holbrook, and James William Johnson, her parents, Charles Miller Anderson, and Ethel Virginia Painter Anderson; two brothers, Paul and Charles Anderson and two sisters, Dorothy Small and Mabel Mumma. Those left to cherish her memory are her daughter, Cynthia Lacy and her husband, Randy; Stepdaughter, Dr. Kathy Johnson; two granddaughters, Christine Carter and her husband, Robert, and Mary Lacy. She is also survived by four great-grandchildren, Jonathan Carter and wife, Arianna, Bryan Carter, Hannah Carter, and Madison Lacy; one great-great-granddaughter, Allona Grace Carter; a special niece who was her best friend and like a sister, Peggy Yacobi. Her greatest joy was spending time with her family.
Shirley was retired from the VA Probation and Parole Office with 30 years of service. She was a faithful member and served at Grace Memorial Baptist Church for 60 years and was most recently a member of Central Church of Christ in Bedford for the past two years.
A celebration of Shirley’s life and funeral service will be held at 10:00 am on Friday, February 18, 2022, at Tharp Funeral Chapel in Bedford with Pat Whisnant and Pastor Greg Rogers officiating. Burial will follow the service in Grandview Memory Gardens in Bluefield, VA. The family will receive friends from 6:00 until 8:00pm on Thursday, February 17, 2022, at Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Bedford. To send condolences online please visit obituaries.tharpfuneralhome.com.
Burial Date February 18, 2022
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Shirley's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021