Obituaries » Shirley Ann Kanthack
Shirley Ann Kanthack
On the 30th of December, another beautiful soul gained her wings. Shirley Ann Kanthack of Amherst, Va., succumbed to complications from pneumonia at the age of 88.
Shirley was a founding member of St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Amherst. She worked for the city of Lynchburg for many years, was well loved by all who knew her. She was preceded in death by her beloved husband of 62 years, Robert (Bob) Kanthack; parents, Paul and Bernice Anhalt; an infant daughter, Laurie Kanthack; a sister, Beverly Colloton; a brother, Paul Anhalt; and a daughter-in-law, Cynthia.
Shirley is survived by three sisters, Eleanor, Virginia, and Paulette (Ken); and one brother, Roy (Tammy). Also, survived by her five children: two sons, Frederick and Robert (Carrie); three daughters, Ann (Richard), Paula (Michael), and Margaret J. “Peggy” (Roger) and their families. 15 grandchildren, 22 great-grandchildren, and two great-great grandchildren, along with numerous nephews and nieces and other devoted relatives and friends.
A memorial service will be held at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, 332 South Main Street, Amherst, VA 24521 in April with a date and time to be decided.
In lieu of flowers, it is asked for donations to be given to the St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, P.O. Box 663, Amherst, VA 24521, your local humane society, or your favorite charity.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Madison Heights, is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Shirley's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021
Click here to access Obituary Archives from 2014 and earlier.