Obituaries » Shirley Wade Floyd
Shirley Wade Floyd
We are saddened to announce the passing of Shirley Wade Floyd of Lynchburg, VA. She died at age 86 on December 7, 2022. A lifelong resident of Lynchburg, Shirley graduated from E. C. Glass High School in 1955.
After receiving a Masters of Education from James Madison University, Shirley began teaching for the Lynchburg City Schools. She was a devoted teacher for over 35 years, with most of her tenure spent at Dunbar Middle. Shirley was an avid reader and was passionate about education and sharing her love of learning with her students.
She enjoyed visiting the beach with friends, traveling in the United Kingdom, playing cards and board games with her grandchildren, and reading and watching murder mysteries.
She spent her final years surrounded by friends and the dedicated caregivers of the William’s Home, whom she considered family.
She is survived by her son, Don Floyd; daughter in law Lisa Floyd; grandchildren Hailey, Lindsey, and Sam Floyd; her niece Linda Ball and her husband Jack Ball; as well as their children Mary Patrick and Stephen Ball.
She was preceded in death by her parents, Roy and Edna Wade; her sister, Virginia Banton; her son Michael Floyd; and her former husband R. D. Floyd.
A celebration of Shirley’s life will take place at the Old City Cemetery Chapel at 2pm on December 16, 2022.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that you make a contribution in her name to the Imagination Library.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Shirley's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021
Click here to access Obituary Archives from 2014 and earlier.