Obituaries » Walter Palmer Johnson
Share your Memorial with Family & Friends
Walter P. Johnson, 85, of Smith Mountain Lake passed away June 28, 2021. He was a son of the late Cdr. John August and Hattie Johnson. He is survived by Geri Johnson, his wife of 63 years, and his three children Walter Jr., John and his wife Louise, and Anne and her husband Jeff Lipscomb; 8 grandchildren, 10 great-grandchildren and another due in October.
Walter proudly served in the U.S. Navy Reserves and the Coast Guard Auxiliary. He served as Deacon at Staunton Baptist Church and a charter member of Saunders Volunteer Fire Dept. His great love in life was serving his community as “Candy Top the Clown” and being an assistant to Santa.
A Celebration of Life will be held at Staunton Baptist Church. In lieu of flowers please consider Staunton Baptist Church, Saunders Volunteer Fire Dept. or Huddleston Rescue Squad.
To send condolences online please visit tharpufuneralhome.com. Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Bedford, VA is assisting the family.
Celebrate Walter's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021