Obituaries » William Maxwell Fittro
William “Bill” Maxwell Fittro, 84, of Rustburg, passed away Thursday, January 27, 2022. He was the loving husband of Margaret Williams Fittro for 62 years.
William was born on April 7, 1937 in Clarksburg, W. Va., a son of Clarence and Edna Fittro.
William was retired from Babcock & Wilcox after 31 years of service. He was also co-owner and operator of Fittro Greenhouses with his wife for over 30 years. He prided himself on the plants he grew and provided the community.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by his children, William David Fittro (Brenda), Edna Susan McIvor, and Joyce Fittro Gourley (Steve); a son-in-law, Kirk Williams; nine grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and a number of nieces and nephews.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by a sister, Dora Mae East; a brother, Larry Fittro; his oldest child, Mary Fittro Williams; and a son-in-law, David McIvor.
The family will receive friends Tuesday, February 1, 2022, at Tharp Funeral Home, Lynchburg, from 6 to 8 p.m. A celebration of Bill’s life will be held on Wednesday, February 2, 2022, at Tharp Funeral Home, Lynchburg, at 11 a.m. with Rev. Jack Davis officiating. Interment will follow at Cumbie Memorial Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to Rustburg United Methodist Church or a charity of your choice.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Lynchburg, is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate William 's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021