Obituaries » George Hamilton Sumpter
George Hamilton Sumpter
George Hamilton Sumpter, lll., 70, of Lynchburg passed away Thursday, November 24, 2022. He was the husband of Carolyn Sumpter.
Born in Lynchburg on June 2, 1952 he was the son of the late George Sumpter, Jr. and Octavia Sumpter.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his sister, Amanda Shirey.
He is survived by his loving wife, Carolyn Sumpter; his children, Christopher Sumpter of Lynchburg and Heather Winfield and husband Gerald of Evington; two granddaughters, Skyler and Ashlyn Winfield.
A graveside service will be conducted at 2:00 pm Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at Virginia Memorial Park with Pastor Wendall Carwile officiating.
In lieu of flowers and donations to charitys please consider making donations to help family with funeral expenses at https://fundafamily.com/Donation.aspx?M=21828&C=51194
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Lynchburg, is assisting the family. To send condolences, please visit tharpfuneralhome.com.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate George's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021
Click here to access Obituary Archives from 2014 and earlier.