Obituaries » Janet Elizabeth Grattan
Janet Elizabeth Grattan, 67, of Lynchburg, Virginia passed away on March 3rd, 2022, surrounded by family and friends.
Janet was born on November 2nd, in Waukeegan, IL. She attended school at Lynchburg College, then pursued her education receiving a master’s in education and a master’s in counseling.
Janet joined the Virginia Episcopal School in 1993 as the Admission receptionist and served for many years as the Assistant to the Dean of Students, but the greatest gift she gave the VES community came when she became a Licensed Professional Counselor, a role distinguished by her warmth and kindness, sympathetic ear, wry humor and selfless devotion.
Janet was a friend to everyone, she was filled with love and compassion to her family, friends, co-workers and students. Few will forget her kind and gentle nature, her warm greetings to all and her little dog Bentley who she was rarely without.
Janet is survived by her children: Brooke Collins of Dallas TX and Abby Cronkite of Alexandria VA; her grandchildren: Blake, Bowen and Wyntje; her siblings: Mike Nelson and Nancy Ross; her parents: Jim and Dixie Nelson; and many loving friends in the community.
A visitation will be held on May 7th, 2022, at 11 am at Virginia Episcopal School. In lieu of flowers donations can be made in Janet’s name to Virginia Episcopal School.
Tharp Funeral Home, Lynchburg is assisting the family. To send condolences, please visit www.obituaries.tharpfuneralhome.com
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Janet Elizabeth's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021