Obituaries » Mary Tomlin
Mary “Lois” Tomlin, age 91, of Lynchburg, Virginia, passed away on May 12, 2023, at her residence. She was born in Lynchburg, Virginia, in 1932 to the late Robert Merle Sterne and Lorene Hattie Conway.
Lois leaves behind one son, Michael Tomlin (Melissa); sister, Jean Crickenberger; brother, Robert Sterne (Georgia); former daughter-in-law and caregiver, Rhonda Tomlin; daughter-in-law, Sallie Tomlin; numerous nieces and nephews; grandchildren, Eric, Justin (Kayla), Shannon, Forest (Eric), and Taylor; and great-grandchildren who she doted on and loved very dearly.
Lois is preceded in death by her husband, Richard Tomlin; three sons, Dale, Kirk, and Gary Tomlin; and two brothers, Joe, and Wayne Sterne.
Lois worked in Lynchburg City School System for over forty years as a secretary but was much more. She retired from Dunbar Middle School in 2012 and loved her work family and all the children she grew to know. She never left a child behind. She was a hard worker and loved working in her yard, going on trips with her family and friends, playing with and taking care of her grandchildren and later her great-grandchildren who adored her. She was affectionately known as Granny to her family.
The family would like to extend a special thank you to Centra Hospice for assisting in her care.
A celebration of Lois’s life will be held on Wednesday, May 17, 2023, from 2 P.M. to 5 P.M. at Lois’s residence.
Tharp Funeral Home, Lynchburg, is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Mary 's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021
Click here to access Obituary Archives from 2014 and earlier.