Obituaries » Peter Torrey Marcy
Peter Torrey Marcy was born July, 7 1936 in Groton Massachusetts and died October 9th, 2022, in Lynchburg, Virginia. He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Arielou Marcy, and two daughters Brooke, Lynchburg, VA and Tosca, New York, New York.
Peter received a B.A. from Hamilton College, NY with honors in Philosophy and History, a M.A. in History from Claremont Graduate School, CA, and a Ph.D. in History from Claremont Graduate School, CA. After graduating he joined the faculty at The University of California at Riverside, CA, California State College at San Bernardino, CA, Kirkland College, NY, Hamilton College, NY. Peter went on to serve as Dean of the College at Wells College, NY and Randolph Macon Woman’s College, VA, and the Executive Director and Head of School at Virginia School of the Arts, Va. He served on numerous boards including the Seven Hills School and the Legacy Museum of African American History and was a member of the SPHEX Club.
Peter loved to sit on the beach in Cape Cod and watch the boats entering the harbor. Reading was his vocation and his advocation, and he was rarely without a book in his hands. Later in life, he enjoyed sitting outside with his cats and dogs listening to the birds. He had a wonderful sense of humor and loved and was loved by his family, neighbors and friends.
There will be no service. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Lynchburg, is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Peter Torrey's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021