Obituaries » Sandy Claiborne Arrington
Sandy Claiborne Arrington, 96, passed away June 15, 2021. He was born and raised in Bedford, VA. He was preceded in death by his father, Walter J. Arrington, Sr., his mother, Evelyn Kelso Arrington, and his brother, Walter J. Arrington, Jr. He is survived by his wife, Phyllis Carwile Arrington, a son and daughter-in-law, Don W. and Charlotte Holdren Arrington, and a daughter and son-in-law, Nancy Arrington and James B. Davies. He was a loving grandfather to 4 grandchildren (Damon Arrington, Joey Arrington, Benjamin Coffey, Jane Coffey), 2 step-grandchildren (J. Benjamin Davies, Emma Davies), and 1 great-grandchild (Noah Albert). He proudly served in the U.S. Navy during the latter part of World War II in the Pacific Theater of Operations and in the Occupation of Japan. He was a longstanding member of the Virginia Army National Guard serving with the 116th Infantry, 29th division where he held many positions including Company Commander of Company A. He also served in the Army Reserves with the 2174th U.S. Army Garrison and was a life member of the American Legion. He retired from the U.S. Postal Service after serving as Postmaster at Bedford and Danville, VA. In lieu of flowers, a memorial gift may be made to the Wounded Warrior Project.
A graveside service will be conducted at 11:00 AM on Saturday, June 19, 2021, at Oakwood Cemetery in Bedford with the Rev. Philip Parker officiating.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Bedford, is assisting the family. To send online condolences please visit obituaries.tharpfuneralhome.com.
Graveside Service: Oakwood Cemetery, Bedford; Saturday, June 19, 2021 at 11:00 AM
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Sandy's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021