Obituaries » Dr. Michael Godfrey Bale
It is with great sadness that we mourn the passing of Dr. Michael Godfrey Bale of Forest, Virginia on March 8, 2022, age 85. Michael leaves behind Nancy Marie Trahey, his wife of 26 years.
Additionally, he is survived by his younger brother Andrew, and wife Marie, and by his children: Alison; Christopher, and wife Caroline; and Richard, and wife Ann. Also, by his granddaughters Melissa, Stephanie and Kirsten.
Born on May 18, 1936, in Southampton, United Kingdom, Michael was the son of the late Frank and Marjorie Bale. After completing a Ph.D. in metallurgy, he enjoyed a long and distinguished career with the nuclear industry, both in the United Kingdom and the United States. He retired from BWX Technologies in Lynchburg, Virginia.
Michael was a gifted pianist, who loved restoring old British cars, and constructing model steam trains. His sharp wit, gentleness and generosity will be greatly missed.
A celebration of Michael’s life will be held at 11:00 a.m. Monday, March 28, 2022, at Tharp Funeral Home in Lynchburg.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Lynchburg, is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Dr. Michael's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021