Obituaries » John David Grimes
Share your Memorial with Family & Friends
John David Grimes, Sr., 66, of Big Island, passed away on Tuesday, February 1, 2022, while surrounded by his family. He was born in Bolling Green, KY on April 5, 1955. A son of the late John Dorphan Grimes and Maude Evelyn Moss Grimes.
David was a truck driver for 33 years as so proud of his accident-free career. His love for his family was so pure. He also enjoyed playing bluegrass music with his friends. He was a wonderful storyteller and often could be found on a creek bank fishing and relaxing. He served his country in the United States Air Force for two years and then transferred to the United States Navy for seven years.
David is survived by his loving wife of 20 years Maureen Grimes; five children, Casie Ward and her husband Donnie, Christopher Powell and his wife, Amy, John David “J.D” Grimes, Jr, Kristie Grimes and Ivory Grimes; seven grandchildren, Kelsey Sowers, Cameron Sowers, Karissa Sowers, Alayna Powell, Ivy Powell, John David “J.D.” Grimes, III and Alexis Grimes; three sisters, Barbara, Jean and Lisa; one brother Danny Grimes and also numerous nieces, nephews, cousins and so many friends.
In lieu of flowers and for those wishing to make memorial contributions in David’s memory please consider the Wounded Warriors of America or Charity of Choice.
A celebration of David’s life will be conducted at a later date per his request. To send condolences online please visit obituaries.tharpfuneralhome.com. Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Bedford is assisting the family.
Celebrate John's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021