Obituaries » Mark Matthew Smith
Mark Matthew Smith
Mark Matthew Smith, 64, of Lynchburg passed away peacefully on July 1, 2022, surrounded by his loved ones. He will be dearly missed and always remembered.
Mark proudly served his country in the U. S. Army for 4 years. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from The Ohio State University. Mark was a self-employed distributor partnering with Flowers Baking Company for 30 years. He enjoyed traveling and living life to the fullest. His family meant the most to him.
Mark is survived by his wife, Sally Bowman, son Jeremy Smith, daughter Melanie Payne and husband Ryan, son Brendan Smith and fiance Kayla, sister Suzzann Olocki, stepdaughter Autumn Rose and stepson Zachary Catlett. He is also survived by grandchildren Sterling Smith, Season Rose and Seanna Rose. Mark leaves cherished friends Chris Cott, Kenny Green and foster brother Gary Wolcott. He was predeceased by his parents and 6 siblings.
Mark was deeply appreciative of and fondly remembered his foster families: the Stockbergers, the Wolcotts and the Hittles.A celebration of Mark’s life will be held at Tharp Funeral Home on Sunday, July 10th at 1:30 PM. If you cannot attend, please join our online celebration.
In lieu of flowers please send any contributions to the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Lynchburg, is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Mark Matthew's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021
Click here to access Obituary Archives from 2014 and earlier.