Obituaries » Peggy Estelle Otey
Peggy Estelle Otey peacefully passed away at Lynchburg General Hospital on Saturday, October 15, 2022, after a long illness. She was preceded in death by her loving parents Lawrence Otey, Sr. and Doris Daniels Otey.
Peggy was baptized at an early age and joined Sharon Missionary Baptist Church, Big Island, VA. She attended Bedford County public schools and graduated from Susie Gibson High School. After graduation she attended Shaw University and later obtained her Master’s Degree from North Carolina Central University. She spent the majority of her career working at Central VA Training Center. Peggy had a great love for children, in particularly her nieces and nephews.
She leaves to cherish her memory one brother, Lawrence Otey, Jr. (Barbara); niece Shantel Hodge; nephews Christopher (Anika), Shaun; and one Aunt, Virginia Davis. She also leaves to cherish her memory a host of great nieces and nephews.
The family would like to give special recognition to her nephew, Shaun Otey, who relocated when she became ill and cared for her daily until she passed.
God, Grant me the serenity To accept the things
I cannot change, The courage to change
The things I can, And the wisdom to
Know the difference.
A Celebration of Life will be held at 12 p.m. on Thursday, October 20, 2022, at Tharp Funeral Home.
A visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at Tharp Funeral Home.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Lynchburg, is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Peggy Estelle's life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021