Obituaries » Ulysses S. Booker, Sr.
Ulysses S. Booker, Sr.
Ulysses S. Booker, Sr. known by many as “Vess”, transitioned on Monday, January 30, 2023, at his residence. He was born on Friday, March 12, 1954, to James Alfred Booker Sr. and Betty Mae Banks Booker.
He is preceded in death by his parents, James Alfred Booker Sr. and Betty Mae Banks Booker and brother James “Junie” Alfred Booker Jr.
Vess is survived by his two sons: Ulysses Sylvester Booker Jr. and Damian O’Shay Booker (Patricia); as well as a grandson Ty’Shaunn Booker. He is also survived by a devoted and loving friend, Roberta Blair of Madison Heights, VA.
He is survived by nine siblings, Deborah “Kay” Williams (Kenneth), Bettie “Ann” Johnson, Lorenza “Ray” Booker (Daphne), Connie Booker (Kendall), Wanda Booker Edwards (Keith), Phyllis West (Franklin), Nadine Jones (Edward), Sherman Booker, and Natasha Booker; and a host of nieces, nephews, and other relatives and friends.
Vess retired from Buncher Railcar Services after almost 20 years of service. Always one to keep busy, Vess loved working on his cars and other projects in the yard as well as helping others whenever he could. He shared his passion for cars and music with both of “his boys”.
A celebration of Life will be held on 2 p.m. Friday, February 3, 2023, at Scott Zion Baptist Church. A visitation will be held one hour prior to the service. Interment will follow the service in the Church Cemetery. His remains will lie in repose Thursday, February 2, 2023, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Tharp Funeral Home Madison Heights Chapel.
Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Madison Heights is assisting the family.
Condolences & Tributes
Celebrate Ulysses S.'s life with a short message, photo or video!
How to Write a Sympathy Message
- Preserving memories: how to create a memorial website to honor your loved one March 1, 2022
- 10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships with Your Loved Ones After a Loss January 27, 2022
- Caring for the grieving during the holidays: 5 ways to help December 8, 2021
- Beyond Thanksgiving: the mental, emotional and physical benefits of habitual gratitude November 15, 2021
- Benefits of Travel Protection: Treasuring a Lifetime of Experiences November 3, 2021
Click here to access Obituary Archives from 2014 and earlier.